Dutch ISPs to collaborate and take responsibility for bottedclients

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Oct 6 15:56:48 UTC 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 1:20 AM, Eugeniu Patrascu wrote:

> Gadi Evron wrote:
>> Barton F Bruce wrote:
>>> Stopping the abuse is fine, but cutting service to the point that
>>> a family
>>> using VOIP only for their phone service can't call 911 and several
>>> children
>>> burn to death could bring all sorts of undesirable regulation let
>>> alone the
>>> bad press and legal expenses.
>>
>> While a legitimate concern it's also a red herring, as it's a
>> technical problem looking for a technical solution.
>>
>>    Gadi.
>>
> I think the need for someone being able to call 911 from their VoIP
> outweighs your right to claim that they should be disconnected from
> the Internet.
>

> Besides, if that provider wants to help out, he might setup a
> captive portal or something with information regarding tools to
> clean their computer.

I disagree... Distributed Denials of Service have gotten to the point
where they can actually endanger
lives.  Think about this... In order to be able to make your 911 VOIP
call, the VOIP provider has to
be able to process your call.  The system that is getting disconnected
because it is an active source
of abuse may be one of many participating in a DOS against someone
elses 911 VOIP provider.
Removing them from the internet could be saving more lives than it
risks.

Someone else pointed out that if the system in question has been
botted/owned/pwn3d/whatever
you want to call it, then, you can't guarantee it would make the 911
call correctly anyway.

Owen