ISP customer assignments

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Tue Oct 6 14:25:44 UTC 2009

On 05/10/09 23:23 -0400, Ricky Beam wrote:
> You underestimate the power of the marketing department and the bean
> counters.  I assure you, residential ISPs are looking for schemes to give
> out as little address space as possible.

That has not been my (limited) experience. If you are aware of any ISPs
which are not handing out a reasonable address space to customers, please
call them out.

>> The current revision of IPv6 introduces a way to nail down the boundary
>> between network and host.  This is fantastic, from an implementation
>> point of view.  It simplifies the design of silicon for forwarding
>> engines, etc.
>
> And it's 150% Wrong Thinking(tm).  IPv6 is classless - PERIOD.  The
> instant some idiot wires /64 into silicon, we're right back to not being
> able to use x.x.x.0 and x.x.x.255.  Addresses are 128-bits; you cannot
> make any assumptions about what people may or may not be doing with those
> bits.  If I don't use SLAAC, then I'm not bound by it's lame rules.
>
>> You don't do that.  Or at least, you shouldn't do that.  :-)  We have a
>> fairly reliable DNS system these days...

The assumption that IPv6 addresses are harder has not been my
experience. A server address of 2610:b8:5::1 is just as easy
for me to remember as 67.217.144.1. Granted, auto configured
addresses are much harder to remember.

> And where did DNS get the name/number assignments?  In my case, it's
> either been typed in by ME or automatically updated by DHCP.

Anything I put in DNS is a server/router, and gets a static address, just
like with IPv4.

--
Dan White
BTC Broadband