ISP customer assignments

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 6 00:22:11 UTC 2009

The fallacy here is the idea that IPv6 has a
128-bit namespace.  It does not.  It has
 two 64 bit namespaces, where one is expected to be globally unique and flat,
While the other is hierarchical.

IPv6 has a lot more room than v4 does, but it is worth noting
Than in v4, a customer would typically use a single /32.  In v6-speak, a /48 is a smaller percentage
of the overall space, but it would not be
prudent to view the v6-space as infinite.  Remember,
the value of a network increases with the number of interconnections,
and those interconnections are what get numbered.

All of the comparisons to atoms in the galaxy or human population are ignoring the hierarchical element
of the 64-bit space.  The nature of hierarchical allocations requires a
Significant "burn" in terms of wasted, unusable addresses.

All that said, the /64-based v6 addressing
approaches are going to be with us for quite a while,
so they're worth getting used to.

-David Barak