ISP customer assignments

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Oct 6 00:14:08 UTC 2009

I've been trying to stay out of this discussion because it is
pointless, however as I can't help picking at scratching mosquito
bites either...

On Oct 5, 2009, at 4:50 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
> I'm perplexed. At what size address would people stop worrying about
> the "finite" address space? 256 bits? 1024 bits?

The issue is that given it is a _finite_ space, its longevity depends
exclusively on allocation policy.  Since allocation policy is
determined by human decision, it is possible (albeit unlikely) that
decisions will be made that will result in runout of IPv6 far sooner
than one would predict given the vast size of the address space.

To wit, we have already had allocations of a /13, /16s, /19s, /20s,
etc., irrespective of the fact that the organizations that obtained
those prefixes would likely be unable to make a dent in their
allocations by the time the sun burned out (assuming they allocate in
a rational fashion).  Now, as an exercise to the reader, compare how
many of those prefixes exist in IPv6 to how many there are in IPv4...

Regards,
-drc