ISP customer assignments

Robert.E.VanOrmer at frb.gov Robert.E.VanOrmer at frb.gov
Mon Oct 5 23:41:08 UTC 2009

The address space is daunting in scale as you have noted, but I don't see
any lessons learned in address allocation between IPv6 and IPv4.  Consider
as a residential customer, I will be provided a /64, which means each
individual on Earth will have roughly 1 billion addresses each.
Organizations will be provided /48s or smaller, but given the current
issues with routing /48's globally, I think you will find more
organizations fighting for /32s or smaller...  so what once was a
astonomical number of addresses that one cannot concieve numerically, soon
becomes much smaller.  I can see an IPv7 in the future, and doing it all
over again... I just hope I retire before it comes... The only difference
I can see between IPv4 and IPv6 is how much of a pain it is to type a 128
bit address...  Just like back in the day when Class B networks were
handed out like candy, one day we will be figuring out how to put in
emergency allocations on the ARIN listserv for IPv6 because of address
exhaustion and waste.

Food for thought...