ISP customer assignments

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Oct 5 21:32:03 UTC 2009

considered top posting to irritate a few folks, decided not to.

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 04:20:44PM -0500, Chris Owen wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2009, at 1:43 PM, Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:
>
> >Whenever you declare something to be "inexhasutable" all you do is
> >increase demand. Eventually you reach a point where you realize that
> >there is, in fact, a limit to the inexhaustable resource.
>
> This is where I think there is a major disconnect on IPv6.   The size
> of the pool is just so large that people just can't wrap their heads
> around it.
>
> 2^128 is enough space for every man, woman and child on the planet to
> have around 4 billion /64s to themselves.   Even if we assume everyone
> might possibly need say 10 /64s per person that still means we are
> covered until the population hits around 2,600,000,000,000,000,000.
>
> Chris

	here, you expose a hidebound bias to 20th century networking.
	please remember that - with few exceptions - people network
	at a very different level than machines.  people don't need
	IP addresses - computing nodes that want to communicate do.

	Just for grins, put a unique IPv6 address in every active RFID
	tag.  ...  and remember that there are RFID printers that can
	put 18 tags on a single A4 sheet.  Numbers will become disposible,
	like starbucks coffee cups and MCD's bigmac containers.

--bill