ISP customer assignments

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Mon Oct 5 21:28:57 UTC 2009

On 05/10/09 16:20 -0500, Chris Owen wrote:
> On Oct 5, 2009, at 1:43 PM, Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:
>
>> Whenever you declare something to be "inexhasutable" all you do is
>> increase demand. Eventually you reach a point where you realize that
>> there is, in fact, a limit to the inexhaustable resource.
>
> This is where I think there is a major disconnect on IPv6.   The size of
> the pool is just so large that people just can't wrap their heads around
> it.

I think another disconnect is our understanding and expectations of
addressing needs with IPv6. The challenge of IPv6 address assignment is to
predict what home and enterprise networks will look like in 10, 20 or more
years.

Do we want to implement an assignment method of conservation based on what
we know and understand today, that maximizes the lifetime of IPv6? Or do we
want to use an approach that maximizes its usefulness (and the utility of
the internet) over the next 50 years?

--
Dan White
BTC Broadband