ISP customer assignments

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Oct 5 18:38:50 UTC 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 2:10 PM, Brian Johnson wrote:

> What would be "wrong" with using a /64 for a customer who only has a
> local network? Most home users won't understand what a subnet is.

They probably don't -- but some appliance they buy might.  Maybe some
home "family-oriented" box will put the kids' machines on a separate
VLAN, to permit rate-limiting, port- and destination-filtering, time-
of-day limits, etc.  In the past, I had to do similar things -- no AIM
during homework hours, no file-sharing -- to the point that I had four
subnets in my house (wireless, teen-net, workVPN, and backbone/
parents).  I don't expect the average consumer to set up something
like that, but I sure wouldn't be surprised at appliances that did.