ISP customer assignments

Jens Link lists at quux.de
Mon Oct 5 18:18:23 UTC 2009

"Brian Johnson" <bjohnson at drtel.com> writes:

> So a customer with a single PC hooked up to their broad-band connection
> would be given 2^64 addresses?
>
> I realize that this is future proofing, but OMG! That’s the IPv4
> Internet^2 for a single device!

Most people will have more than one device. And there is no NAT as you
know it from IPv4 (and hopefully there never will be. I had to
troubleshoot a NAT related problem today and it wasn't fun.[1])

And I want more than one network I want to have a firewall between my
fridge and my file server.

> Am I still seeing/reading/understanding this correctly?

RFC 3177 suggest a /48.

Forget about IPv4 when assigning IPv6 Networks to customers. Think big an
take a one size fits all(most) customers approach. Assign a /48 or /56 to
your customers and they will never ask you about additional IPs
again. This make Documentation relay easy. ;-)

cheers

Jens

[1] Everybody who claims that NAT is easy should have his or her head
examined.