operations contact @ facebook?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon Oct 5 15:18:45 UTC 2009

> On Oct 5, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Leland Vandervort wrote:
>
> > Would anyone happen to have an operations contact at Facebook by
> > anychance?  Our systems are being overwhelmed by a facebook
> > application
> > that we were neither aware of nor condoned.
>
> Clearly I do not have all the information, so please forgive me for
> being confused.  But since when do I[*] have to ask you before I put
> an application on my server?  If FB put an application on your server,
> that seems like something you should have known up front.

That's far from the only possibility.  The ability of a site such as FB
to generate an inadvertent but effective DDoS against a smaller site in
a variety of ways is quite significant, and depending on the specifics,
failure to mitigate such damage once being made aware of it could even
open one up to penalties under regional computer crime laws...  of
course, that's making a bit of a jump and some assumptions, but it is
certainly a different possibility from the one you suggest.

... JG