Minimum IPv6 size

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sun Oct 4 03:19:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Brandon Butterworth <brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk>wrote:

> > Is there some central repository for information on this? We usually
> > seem to find out about such changes out of the ARIN region a bit after
> > the fact.
>
> Have we not learnt from v4?
>
> If there are to be filters then they should be defined once and never
> changed as people will fail to update

Yay!  We can return to classful routing again.  That sure worked out well
for us the first time around.  ^_^;

> If a different allocation requirement arises then start a new prefix
> (v6 is big enough to handle this) and define its filter once. Do not
> allocate it from an existing range and expect people to adjust their
> filters.

So, if I need to break up my /32 into 4 /34s to cover different geographical
regions, I should instead renumber into a new range set aside for /34s
and give back the /32?  Sure seems like a lot of extra overhead.
Perhaps we should give everyone an allocation out of each filter
range, so that they can simply number from the appropriately-classed
range; when you apply for space, you'd get a /32, a /33, a /34, a /35,
a /36, etc. all from the appropriate, statically defined ranges.

*removes tongue from cheek*

> brandon

Matt