Dutch ISPs to collaborate and take responsibility for botted clients

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Sat Oct 3 19:41:46 UTC 2009

The story is covered by PC mag:
-------
... major Dutch ISPs have agreed to share information and establish a
common set of rules for responding to users infected with malware,
especially those in botnets. The agreement, called a "treaty" by locals,
involves 14 ISPs covering 98% of the market.

A major reason ISPs are hesitant to take deliberate measures against
such systems is that they are afraid that disconnecting users and making
them spend time and money cleaning up their systems will only drive them
into the hands of competitors. And the support process itself is
expensive, probably wiping out the profit from that user. But with such
high coverage of the market users may not have permissive alternatives.

This will be an interesting phenomenon to watch. If it is successful
perhaps it could work here too."
-------

I couldn't find the story in English in a version that did not link to
my original post, I waited a few days to see if anyone else picks it up,
as I don't want yet another self-promotion fight. No one I found in
under 2 minutes on Google did, so this second-hand link should do.

http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2009/09/dutch_isps_sign_anti-botnet_tr.php

Enjoy,

	Gadi.