Who has AS 1712?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Nov 25 09:12:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 07:54:08PM -0800,
 Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote
 a message of 13 lines which said:

> Are you suggesting that I should be able to block the assignment of
> particular ASNs by simply including them in an AS_PATH attribute on
> a route I originate, and making sure that route shows up in
> route-views?

No one suggested a complete, blind and automatic blocking of the
assignment. Just a suggestion to RIRs to check if the AS number they
are ready to assign is used in an AS path somewhere and, if so, to
raise a flag, to assign a physical person on the matter, to
investigate, to check the databases, etc.

This would have catched the AS 1712 issue.