Smartcard and non-password methods (was Re: Password repository)

Scott Howard scott at
Sat Nov 21 21:45:06 CST 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 6:38 AM, John Levine <johnl at> wrote:

> > Are passwords still the only lowest-common-denominator?
> There's OpenID, where a provider can use any verification process it
> wants, but all the OpenID providers I know use ordinary passwords.

I'm currently trialing Yubico's for access to a number of Unix systems (via
PAM), and they seem to work very well.  Haven't played around with the
OpenID support, so I can't comment on if/how well it works.