BGP Peer Selection Considerations

adel at baklawasecrets.com adel at baklawasecrets.com
Mon Nov 9 17:40:07 UTC 2009

Hi,

Thanks to everyone that replied to my post on failover configuration.  This has lead me to this post.  I'm at a point now where I'm looking at dual-homing with two BGP peers upstream.  Now what I am looking at doing is as follows:

BGP Peer with Provider A who is multihomed to other providers.
BGP Peer with Provider B who is not peered with provider A

I have an existing relationship with provider A, colo, cross connects etc.  Provider A has offered to get the PI space, ASN number, purchase the transit for us with provider B and manage cross connects to provider B (they say they have a diverse "fibre backhaul network").  This is quite attractive from a support and billing perspective.  Also suspect that provider A will be able to get more attractive pricing from Provider B than I would be able to.

Am I missing things that I need to consider?