small site multi-homing (related to: Small guys with BGP issues)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Nov 4 00:02:33 UTC 2009

In message <5414.1257270127 at turing-police.cc.vt.edu>, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu w
rites:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:11:15 PST, Mike said:
> >
> >     Small-site multi-homing is one of the great inequities of the
> > Internet and one that can, and should, be solved. I envision an Internet
> > of the future where anyone with any mixture of any type of network
> > connections can achieve, automatically, provider independence and
> > inbound/outbound load sharing across disparate links.
>
> 400 million Joe Sixpacks and their counterparts around the globe, all wanting
> to run BGPto multihome the /29 in their basement.
>
> Be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

With a protocol to distribute which prefixes (with weighting) are
viable, a end node could just select a appropritate source address
out of several provider assigned ones and use source address routing
to find a appropropiate exit path which doesn't break BCP 38.  This
is as good as the NAT solutions for small-site multi-homing today.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org