Upstream BGP community support

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Mon Nov 2 05:58:27 UTC 2009

jim deleskie wrote:
> Agree'd :)
>
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>>> Here is the problem as I see it.  Sure some % fo the people using BGP
>>> are bright nuff to use some upstreams communities, but sadly many are
>>> not.  So this ends up breaking one or more networks, who in turn twist
>>> more dials causing other changes.. rinse, wash and repeat.  But like
>>> Randy said who am I to stop anyone from playing... just means those of
>>> us with clue will be able to continue to earn a pay check for a very
>>> long time still :)

>> i would rather earn it by designing things, not by cleaning up messes
>> made by kiddies needing to show off.

For those who try their best, given your comment, what in the fsck is
one to do?

What practices should be followed?

Is this about not pushing knobs, or is this about people with big dicks?

What really should we do? I mean those with 2691's still in practice.

What do we do? We watch for guidance from here. It seems as though
people are making a mochary of communities.

How many steps am I really behind?

Steve