Packet loss statistics

Ric Messier kilroy at WasHere.COM
Thu May 28 16:55:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On May 28, 2009, at 12:03 PM, Ric Messier wrote:
>

>> Is anyone aware of useful resources for packet loss over large LANs and
>> WANs? Google turned up a nice statistics page for Qwest's network but not
>> much else that seems useful to me.
>>
>> Our testing teams are trying to simulate expected network conditions and
>> rather than go overboard, having something close to real-world parameters
>> would be nice.
>

> 	Depending on what you want, you could use something like smokeping or
> owamp to measure your network.  (Both can be easily found via the goog).

Thanks, Jared. I'm not looking to quantify my network. I'm looking to
introduce artificial errors into a test network to see the behavior
against a product/system. I'd like to know if there is any data anywhere
on what might be expected on an average network. I'm not sure there are
such statistics, to be honest but thought I'd ask in the best place I
knew to ask.

Here is the Qwest link mentioned, by the way, in case anyone else is
interested.

http://stat.qwest.net/statqwest/perfRptIndex.jsp

Ric