Why choose 120 volts?

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed May 27 22:08:55 UTC 2009

david raistrick wrote:
> On Tue, 26 May 2009, Joe Greco wrote:
>
>>> http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=1036852
>
>> Great, you're the latest person to invent a way to present a 5-15R that
>> offers something besides 120VAC.  This is neither new nor novel, but it
>> *is* dangerous and risky, and in no way "solves the problem."
>
> No, this does NOT present 208v at a 5-15R.   Don't believe me, buy one
> and put a voltmeter across it.
>
> I'll leave the FUD to others.

Here's the L-G voltage off the 208v taps from an isolation transformer
in a system with no neutral: http://ninjamonkey.us/not_120_volts.jpg

In other words, in a system with no neutral, it's not designed to do
120v loads. The L-L voltage on that same PDU is 211. Also, the device
you linked will present high voltage because again, no neutral.

~Seth