Why choose 120 volts?

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Wed May 27 01:00:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, 26 May 2009 20:32:54 -0400, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:
> once in a while some crashcart CRT monitor won't run on anything but 120V
> but for $50 NRC it can be replaced with an LCD.  everything else that's
> still worth plugging in (that is, having a power/heat cost per
> performance better than that of a blow dryer) doesn't care what voltage
> it lives on.

Or go to Radio Shack and get one of those "international traveler" power
converter packs.

I have a number of systems (ok, yes, they're old) that a) do not have
autosensing power supplies (someone has to get a paperclip and flip a
switch), and b) will not work on 208v -- 120 or 240, but not 208.

--Ricky