Why choose 120 volts?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue May 26 23:30:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 03:39:30PM -0500, Joe Greco wrote:
> And I don't like not having anywhere to plug in my power screwdriver's
> recharger...  I suppose I should see if I can find someplace that has
> a transformer of an appropriate size, or does anyone already have the
> part number for something that can provide a few hunderd milliamps of
> 120V from 208?  :-)

We always seem to have an odd device or three that needs 120V, like a
wallwart for an external modem or LCD KVM console, or some legacy
specialized gear (CBORD comes to mind).  For those we have been
providing a single circuit/PDU in the room that runs at 120V and
running extension cords as necessary.  Everything else is 208V.