AH or ESP

Merike Kaeo kaeo at merike.com
Tue May 26 04:03:55 UTC 2009

IPsec as a whole is compliance mandatory for IPv6 although for new
version of IPv6 Node requirements that came out recently I think they
changed that to a 'SHOULD'.  Wireless devices (phones) have issues
with battery life when IPsec implemented.  Note that all standards
say ESP-Null is 'MUST' (mandatory-to-implement ) algorithm and AH is
a 'MAY' support.

Yep.....integrity was specifically decoupled due to export
restrictions on cryptography technologies used for encryption - the
restrictions do not apply for just authentication/integrity
cryptography.  Hence AH and ESP.   ESP-Null came about when folks
realized AH could not traverse NATs.

- merike