ISP best practices

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu May 21 13:45:13 UTC 2009

Philip Lavine wrote:
> To all,
>
> I am sure this has been asked 10 to the 1 millionth power times, however may be the rules have changed. I am looking to set up a really small ISP with a few /24's. I want to host DNS as well. Is there any whitepapers/howtos/best practices on setting up multihomed BGP and DNS with BIND so I don't blow up the Internet.

BCP 38:
- http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3704.txt

ISP Essentials:
- http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587050412

Securing IP Network Traffic Planes:
- http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587053365

- anything and everything regarding IPv6.

...would be a VERY good start (I've read Securing IP Traffic Planes
which is also great reference, and am just finishing up ISP Essentials,
which is dated, but the principles still apply).

Steve