NPE-G2 vs. Sup720-3BXL

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Mon May 18 15:55:24 UTC 2009

Some things to remember about the MSFC2s when designing a deterministic
network:

Without the switch fabric module, the 6509 only has a 32 Gbps
contention-based BUS as a backplane. Also I believe only "classic" line
cards work without the switch fabric module. "Classic" line cards share
hardware port buffers between adjacent ports (groups of 8 ports for
copper cards) such that it is possible when one port is run at sustained
wire speed, the hardware port buffer capacity is exhausted, causing
drops on the other ports. The sup720 has the 720 Gbps switch fabric
module integrated on the supervisor engine freeing up slots 5/6 where
the switch fabric line cards are inserted with an MFSC2.