questions about DVFS in saving energy

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Thu May 14 16:19:59 UTC 2009

Apologies for skirting close, but I think power consumption and heat
dissipation are pretty big operator costs, and anything we can do to
reduce those are beneficial to the bottom line; never mind the
environment. More below:

[TLB:] We tried all the solutions we could Google, including
/usepmtimer. A potential 50% reduction in power per system (which is
what we were measuring in the tests) would be significant.
Unfortunately, it was not stable. It appears to be a Win2K3 issue,
although Red Hat Enterprise ran at the declock speed all the time, even
under heavy loads (it didn't crash and corrupt volumes like Win2K3,
however).