Checking bogon status of new address space

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sat May 9 04:41:36 UTC 2009

Ran across two different DNS hosters in the last two weeks that were
blocking space that was de-bogoned 2.5 years ago... =(

One started as an e-mail issue, the other as a web access.  The e-mail issue
showed up as the server sending the sender an "I can't deliver this e-mail
because I can't resolve the DNS info", and digs from the e-mail server
confirmed the case.  Testing from our old IP address space worked, so it was
clear it was some kind of block based on IP address.  The web browsing one
was easy, too, because the customer was able to browse (when they had old
DNS servers) and then couldn't (when we handed out new DNS servers).  Since
the e-mail issue was fresh in our mind, it was one of the first things we
tested.

I hope both DNS hosters took the time to update the rest of their bogon
lists, too, not just remove our space from the bogon list.

Frank