Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue May 5 13:45:56 CDT 2009

> Joe Greco wrote:
> >> Forwarding these requests up to the ISP's router and having several
> >> PDs per end customer is in my opinion the best way to go.
> >
> > How is it the ISP's router is able to handle this?  Be specific.
> I view with suspicion the notion that an ISP is going to take addressing
> direction from their customers, willy-nilly.

You snipped two of the three paragraphs I was responding to.  The reply
I made was not a response to the last sentence, which was all that you
quoted, and so you may be confused about what I meant.

I was talking the other direction.

Internet routes a prefix to the ISP.

ISP routes a (smaller) prefix to the access concentrator.

Access concentrator routes a (smaller) prefix to the customer.

Now, the question is, if you're sending all these prefix requests up to
the ISP's router, why is *that* device able to cope with it, and why is
the CPE device *not* able to cope with it?

> > Now explain why that can't be made to work at the CPE level.
> Home devices chain with NAT because that is the scheme most likely to
> work well enough by default 99% of the time out of the box, without
> requiring ANY upstream cooperation.
> Home devices that work out of the box for the common usage scenarios
> generate profit, those that dont generate loss.

Again, since I think you misunderstood my earlier question, I don't think
my opinion was different than that.

Throwing out any real world implementations, for the sake of a clean slate
to see what "makes sense," let's sketch.

You have an ISP network, with a large amount of space available, and a
lesser amount of space dedicated to the POP.

You have a customer network, assumed to live within some customer

So what we want is something that can intelligently handle delegation
in an automatic fashion, which probably includes configurable settings
to request/register delegations upstream, and to accept/manage them
downstream.  There's no reason that this shouldn't be basic router

... JG