Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue May 5 18:39:25 UTC 2009

Charles Wyble wrote:
>> ([*] according to the wiki, firewire and zigbee are the only things
>> using EUI-64.  I don't know of anyone using firewire as a network
>> backbone.  (obviously, not that you care.)  Zigbee is relatively new
>> and similar to bluetooth; will people use them as a NIC or connect
>> little zigbee gadgets to the internet -- well, there are coffee
>> makers, vending machines, and christmas lights on the internet, so as
>> a novelty, certainly. How many bluetooth devices are running IP over
>> bluetooth?  That said, I could see PAN meshes (personal area
>> networks) eating a huge number of addresses, but /64???)
>
> Utility companies utilize Zigbee pretty extensively. So that's
> millions and millions of addresses right there.

A million addresses is 1/16th of one OUI in EUI-48, and there are
4,194,304 OUIs (after you take out the local/global and
multicast/unicast bits).  Billions or even trillions of addresses are
manageable without needing EUI-64; millions is a drop in the bucket.
Still, it's good to know that another link layer -- which people _will_
be running large IPv6 networks on -- is using EUI-64 and that it's not
just a FireWire thing.