Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue May 5 12:29:39 UTC 2009

Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Jack Bates:
>
>> Sorry, Ricky. But that won't work. EUI-64 is required for autoconfig,
>> and it expands the 48 bits to 64 bits by inserting FFFF or FFFE
>> depending on if the original is a MAC-48 or EUI-48 identifier.
>
> I'm rather puzzled why this blatant layering violation is still sold
> as a must-have feature.

It's not a must have if you manage your own network. There are always
other options. That being said, if you are an ISP handing out prefixes
to customers, there is an expectation that the customer will probably
use it given the direction CPE implementations are going. Thus you have
to predict that if you don't want to setup all your customer's networks
for them, they'll probably be using /64 per subnet.

Jack