Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue May 5 02:49:02 UTC 2009

> "64bit MAC" -- which pretty much exists nowhere.  It's a repeat of the
> mistakes from IPv4's early days: CLASSFUL ROUTING.
>
> I'm with you.  I wish vendors and spec designers would just get over it
> and let people subnet however they want.

you can.  there was a bit of a war in the ietf some years back, and yhe
64 bit boundary is a convention.  hardware must route and forward on 128
bits.

do other than 64 and you do not get auto-conf.  some do not consider
this a loss, others do.

> So far, Cisco's gear is the only IPv6 routers I've messed with.  And
> they will not let you set an interface to anything smaller than a /64.

i wonder what strange gear you tried.  all routers, cisco and other, i
play with operate on 128 bits.

randy