Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Sun May 3 05:30:52 UTC 2009

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Sat, 2 May 2009, Matthew Palmer wrote:

>> [1] Just because we've got a lot of it, doesn't mean we should be
>> pissing it
>> up against the wall unnecessarily.  A motto for network engineers and
>> economists alike.
>
> You can't be wasteful with something that you know is already extremely
> plentyful.

There is no resource that cannot be pissed away, if you try hard enough.

> We currently have 72 million billion /56:es. If we do /56:es of the
> current /16 being handed out and then change our mind, we can still hand
> out 1100 billion /56:es before we can discover this was wasteful and
> then we will have spent one 65536th of the address space available.

Philosophical:

You know, if we are just going to act as if ipv6 has only 64 bits, why
didnt we just design it with only 64?

Practical:

Think of the routing table. How many /48's in a /32?

> Give people a /56 and if they only use one NOW,

Give people a /96. Thats a whole internet.

Whats that? They resurrected classfull addressing for ipv6?