how to fix incorrect GeoIP data?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri May 1 23:15:12 UTC 2009

> Of course the "GeoIP people" are going to vet the submissions, but if
> existing entry is Spain or Germany and the traceroute shows that the
> previous hop was somewhere in the US midwest, I think they can
> figure it
> out. =)

The "hop before it" is not necessarily a good indication these days
with MPLS tunnels.  There is this thing called the Speed Of Light.
It's very annoying most of the time, but it can be useful for geo
location if you have multiple vantage points to ping / trace to a
destination.

The return packet can be delayed infinitely, but it cannot be sped up
past c.  Really about 0.666c if you believe the path is in fiber,
which I personally believe is a useful assumption for every path on
the 'Net to several decimal places (since things like satellite hops,
while not in fiber, will give your far higher latency, and microwave
just is not used enough to matter).  If you ping something from San
Jose and get a response in under 50 ms, the machine which sent the
reply packet _cannot_ be in Germany or China.  Those pesky Laws of
Physics get in the way.[*]

What's more, if you ping the same destination from, say, Los Angeles
and Boston, and each test returns in 40 ms, you now have narrowed the
possible locations down quite a bit.

There are always exceptions, but sometimes they are obvious.  Pinging
the same destination from LAX & BOS and getting 5 ms each... well,
that's obviously anycast (or a broken test).  Fortunately, most
destinations are unicast and stationary, so there are ways to narrow
down the location using tools like this.

--
TTFN,
patrick

[*] Technically it's the Theory of Relativity which gets in the way.
This means some people will argue I am wrong because it is "only a
theory" and not proven fact.  Hopefully no NANOG reader has ever used
lines like "it is only a theory" against "theories" which are better
proven than some "laws" (e.g. the Law of Gravity, which, as it turns
out, is wrong).