how to fix incorrect GeoIP data?

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Fri May 1 21:39:17 UTC 2009

I wouldn't mind create LOC records for our IP address ranges, but doesn't
make much sense if the "GeoIP people" don't look at it or care.  Hence the
need for someone who is relevant to them to open the dialog.

I've never received a negative comment when submitting a correction request
to "GeoIP people".  Of course, they don't make it really easy to do so and
it seems that half the time it needs to be done via back-channels.

Of course the "GeoIP people" are going to vet the submissions, but if
existing entry is Spain or Germany and the traceroute shows that the
previous hop was somewhere in the US midwest, I think they can figure it
out. =)  I'm sure they have mechanisms to track changes and new allocations,
but some things will slip through the cracks or in the case of use sales
data, be delayed.

The process that I'm suggesting is for corrective action, not to be the
basis for the "GeoIP people" to build their database.  That's why I'm
suggesting a comprehensive form that gets sent to all the "GeoIP people".
It's a way they can receive requests in a systematic way that can help them
improve the accuracy of their database.

Frank