REVERSE DNS Practices.

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Thu Mar 26 17:28:29 UTC 2009

on Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 02:14:27AM +0900, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009, Steven Champeon wrote:
>
> [snip interode related hostnames such as this]

> > > That's a safe assumption.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it's not. Even more unfortunately, we see more junk
> > from their generic statics than we do from their obvious dynamics.
>
> Have you tried just contacting internode in Australia about this?

We maintain patterns for some 21K domains. No, we don't contact every
ISP we see abusive traffic from, as it would take far longer than simply
blocking based on evidence. We've been down that road before, and
frankly it's a stunning waste of time. In the six years we've been doing
this, we've had maybe two ISPs actually take the time to rename based on
a recognition that doing so would be a boon to the antispam community
and a good PR move. One of them took about 18 months to do so, and is
still not finished across their entire network. The other has since
reverted to stupid naming, presumably because the clue left the
building. We've seen some adoption of sane naming practices, probably as
a response to deliverability problems, but it's far from widespread.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/