Netflix, Blockbuster, and streaming content ... what impact?

Moriniaux Michel mmoriniaux at prosodie.com
Thu Mar 26 14:25:43 UTC 2009

Hello,
The way this is implemented on this side of the pond is: the responsibility for bandwidth resides on the broadband operator side. The content providers tend to peer with the broadband networks so that there are no bottlenecks on a third party (transit) network.
Of course you need very active and competitive broadband markets for this model to work. Here we've been blessed with such a market and already have plethora of third party VOD offerings.

Seeing the state of IP rights across the world the streams are going to be very country specific and will not be available through international transits (eg.: all the actual video offerings in the US that we do not have access to for tv series etc..)

Best regards,
Michel Moriniaux