Akamai wierdness

jamie rishaw j at arpa.com
Wed Mar 25 05:33:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:08 PM, JC Dill <jcdill.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> The reply I received came from someone who works in the NOC, not from
> Patrick (who doesn't work in the NOC).
>
> It's really poor form to make these unfounded assertions without any basis
> for them.
> jc

[Akamai customer. Hi.]

Akamai customer support is ccare at .  It's in all the literature, and their
support site.  You're arguing a suboptimal answer.

Customers with issues should use Akamai Edgecontrol.  This is from the
horse's mouth[1].  They can also use, and anyone can use, the ccare@ box.
The ccare@ email address interfaces to Edgecontrol and tons of other Akamai
sorcery[2], which does a whole bunch of jedi nunchuckery[3], giving the ops
tech a lot more info out of the gate.

Anyone claiming noc@ : not the place for issues to go to, and Akamai will
tell you that.[4]

Moving on, nation :

What bugs me about this thread(thanks for asking!) is that someone posted to
the list, trying to troubleshoot a problem affecting multiple customers. He
tried (brace yourself) collaboration, and was met with a quasi shot across
the bow from someone At That Company.  If you want to judge (how do I
configure my router for that?),  I'd point to the key employee of said
vendor, who, instead of replying to the poster with a ticket number and
ownership, "posted to 10k strangers" a snarky comment that one shouldnt post
"to 10k strangers".  Orly.

Now, I have nothing against anyone in this situation - we all get testy..
arguably, I am now ;-)  Not looking to start a flame war.  E-mail who you
want.

Obligatory Win : Someone wrote in this thread earlier re emailing noc@ and
getting an email back in 17 minutes.  For what it's worth, I forwarded the
original two posts to *ccare@* (before the war) (with no other contact info,
specifically stating it was someone else's problem) and got a phone call in
less than five.

Whut whut?  If only /all/ vendors' systems were that good..

-j.

[1] www.akamai.com/html/support/
[2] www.akamai.com/html/technology/
[3] i believe that is the technical term they used, yes.
[4] +1 877 4 akatec.

--
Jamie Rishaw // .com.arpa at j <- reverse it. ish.
[Impressive C-level Title Here], arpa / arpa labs