Redundant AS's

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Sat Mar 21 17:48:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Heather Schiller wrote:

> I don't think old vs new really matters.. pardon me for sticking w/ ARIN in
> this example.. I can follow their fee structure easiest - and doesn't have
> the old vs new:  (https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html)
>
> ARIN charges $100/yr for ASN's  ... any "compensation" for returning an ASN
> should be less than the $100 they charge?  Would it make any financial sense
> to compensate someone $500 for returning an ASN that only generates $100 a
> year?  (Remember that the RIR's are non-profits..)

Well old vs new does have consequences.  I have many ASNs issued since
1996, yet they were never charged.

See 2006: ftp://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-360.pdf
"Note: AS Numbers, PI IPv4 and IPv6 special purpose assignments issued
before 1 October 2004 will NOT count toward the 2006 billing score." As it
had been up till that point.

Yet in 2007: ftp://ftp.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-392.pdf
that rule changed and suddenly older allocations were suddenly billed.
So a LIR that issued ASNs to customers and only charged them a one-time
fee in 1996-2006 (processing and handling) is suddenly saddled with
additional costs that they can no longer pass on to the customer.

I wonder what ARIN did in that regards.

Regards,
Hank