Redundant AS's

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Thu Mar 19 05:50:36 UTC 2009

At 12:40 PM 18-03-09 -0700, goemon at anime.net wrote:

>>>When I look at this more recently, the conclusion still seems to be
>>>valid: we'll run out of 16 bit ASN's somewhere in 2011 to 2013.  There
>>>are a lot of unused ASN's out there.  Recovering them will postpone the
>>>problem by a few years but it won't solve it.  The basic problem with
>>>recovery is how to decide if an ASN is really no longer used/needed.
>>>There is (still) no mechanism to do this.
>>>Henk
>>Why not go after low lying fruit first?  If an ASN was assigned years ago
>>and hasn't appeared in the RIB for the past year that ASN should be
>>reclaimed. Send warning emails to the registered contacts as well as to
>>the assigning LIR and after 3 months - just reclaim it.
>
>How about just nailing everyone who has invalid contact info? That would
>certainly be incentive to get it updated. Nothing else seems to work.
>
>-Dan

How about making it financially worth it?  RIRs charge for resources - like
IPs and ASNs:
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/charging2009.html
1 ASN = /21 in money terms.  It takes me about 3-5 hours of work to track
down and get an old unused ASN to be deallocated.  How about updating the
2010 charging model so that LIRs that return ASNs are compensated?

-Hank