Redundant AS's

Heather Schiller heather.schiller at verizonbusiness.com
Wed Mar 18 16:22:59 UTC 2009

Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> At 08:18 AM 18-03-09 +0100, Henk Uijterwaal wrote:
>
>>> It's a bit dated now, but the RIPE report, ASN MIA, sounds like what
>>> you're looking for...
>>> www.apnic.net/meetings/21/docs/sigs/routing/routing-pres-uijterwaal-asn-mia.ppt
>>>

>> When I look at this more recently, the conclusion still seems to be
>> valid: we'll run out of 16 bit ASN's somewhere in 2011 to 2013.  There
>> are a lot of unused ASN's out there.  Recovering them will postpone the
>> problem by a few years but it won't solve it.  The basic problem with
>> recovery is how to decide if an ASN is really no longer used/needed.
>> There is (still) no mechanism to do this.
>>
>> Henk
>
> Why not go after low lying fruit first?  If an ASN was assigned years
> ago and hasn't appeared in the RIB for the past year that ASN should be
> reclaimed.  Send warning emails to the registered contacts as well as to
> the assigning LIR and after 3 months - just reclaim it.
>
> -Hank

Your making an assumption that globally unique ASN's must show up in the
public internet routing table.  The only requirement, at least in the
ARIN region, for obtaining a globally unique ASN is a unique routing
policy or multihoming - therefor your method could lead to a lot of
false positives.  I won't even get into issues around bad contact data
in whois.   However, if enough folks believe this a worthwhile effort,
at least in the ARIN region, you will have to ask ARIN to pursue this
either through the ARIN policy development process or the ARIN
consultation and suggestion process...my guess would be suggestion process.

Suggestion submission:
https://www.arin.net/app/suggestion/

Policy Proposal process:
https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp_appendix_b.html

for reference... requirements for obtaining an ASN in the ARIN region:

Multi-homed
NRPM 5

     * provide the exterior gateway protocol to be used
     * provide the IP addresses currently in use on your network
     * provide the AS number and name of each of your upstream
providers/peers
     * provide verification (reassigned address block, a copy of your
signed contract) your organization has contractually agreed to service
with at least two of the upstream providers/peers listed on your request
     * if requesting an additional AS number, provide documentation
detailing how the network for the requested ASN is autonomous from all
existing ASes in your network

Unique Routing Policy
NRPM 5

     * demonstrate the AS's routing policy will differ from the routing
policies of its border peers
     * if requesting an additional AS number, provide documentation
detailing how the network for the requested ASN is autonomous from all
existing ASes in your network

  --Heather

  Heather Schiller	Verizon Business
  Customer Security	1.800.900.0241