Leap second tonight

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Mar 17 19:54:28 UTC 2009

>   As long as the end-user is made aware that the accuracy of said NTP
> clock
>   is +/- 30.000 seconds (or whatever jitter might exist).  Seems kind
> of
>   ridiculous to use an NTP source that is, for many purposes, wildly
>   inaccurate.  For my purposes, wildly is more than +/- 0.1 seconds.
> Trying
>   to troubleshoot a problem, network or server, where the timestamps on
> each
>   server/router/device vary inconsistently, is like walking on broken
>   fluorescent bulbs -- painful and dangerous to one's health.

Not being a time geek, since Cisco's were called out for being wild
jitter-mongers... how much jitter are we talking about?

Clock is synchronized, stratum 2, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
nominal freq is 250.0000 Hz, actual freq is 249.9989 Hz, precision is 2**18
reference time is CD6A7CD4.45A9BB00 (19:47:32.272 UTC Tue Mar 17 2009)
clock offset is 2.0581 msec, root delay is 29.62 msec
root dispersion is 6.81 msec, peer dispersion is 3.30 msec

Are we talking about +/- 30 seconds, or a problem bounded by +/- 30 msec?

Deepak Jain
AiNET