AT&T Security Contact

Jeff Wheelhouse nanog at capequilog.com
Sat Mar 14 21:13:45 UTC 2009

Hi All,

One of our customers has forwarded us a rambling, disjointed threat
from someone sending from abuse at sbcglobal.net who claims to be "the
Security Manager for AT&T Internet Services Security Center, its
subsidiaries and affiliates" who won't provide a name or personal
contact information but who promises to (and I quote) "DNS Block" some
of the customer's IP's (in our allocation) over a problem AT&T has
with one of the customer's customers.

After reading the message, I checked the situation myself and the
problem complained about appears to have been resolved some time ago,
if it ever existed at all.

Also, the IP's in question are not, as far as I know, DNS servers; I
am quite sure they are shared hosting IP's, so I don't know what AT&T
is proposing to do, exactly, but it sounds like a threat to interfere
with a bunch of innocent people's web sites for what appear to be
bogus reasons.

They have ignored multiple confirmed-delivery-I've-seen-the-logs
attempts to respond by our customer, our customer's customer, and
myself.

Could I please get someone from AT&T to contact me off-list about this
before it turns into a "thing?"

Thanks!

Jeff