Dynamic IP log retention = 0?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Sat Mar 14 13:24:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Neil <kngspook at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Brett Charbeneau <brett at wrl.org> wrote:

>As William pointed out, it's the things that follow that determine whether
>someone's being bad.  To flag port-scans might be responsible, but I think
>pursuing legal action over it would be the exact opposite.  Wait until
>someone demonstrates true maliciousness before trying to punish them, rather
>than bringing the heat merely because they've demonstrated the potential for
>maliciousness.

In the physical world, this is the equivalent of 'casing the joint'.
In most parts of the world, you can now get stopped/interrogated for
simply taking pictures of the wrong buildings. (Even ones that in the
past might have been considered tourist attractions.) Whether you
think this is a good/bad thing, you shouldn't be surprised that people
are similarly concerned about such behavior in the virtual world.

> This is almost akin to attacking someone because they're carrying a gun:
> sure, the gun gives them the potential to do bad things, but it often enough
> is innocent. (Political agendas aside...)

No, this is more like some unknown guy in a high-rise a mile a way
pointing his laser sniper scope at people walking in the park.   They
don't KNOW that he has a rifle attached to that scope.  Even if he
does,
they don't KNOW that he plans to use it.  Most people will never
notice that little red dot in the middle of their chest.  If they do
notice and report it, however, I can guarantee that a significant
investigation will
take place.

Bill Bogstad