Dynamic IP log retention = 0?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Mar 14 06:15:17 UTC 2009

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 00:56:24 CDT, Ross said:
> I know I won't be able to change your mind. Saying a company's business
> decisions are antisocial just because they aren't doing you want is very
> unhelpful. I don't know how many large ISPs you have worked for but I'm
> not sure if you understand corporate budgets or politics.

Ross - it doesn't help when you turn around and present another false dichotomy.

It's quite possible that Joe *does* understand corporate budgets and politics,
and *still* thinks that business decisions are antisocial.  In fact, one can
fairly easily argue that *many* of our current socio-economic issues are due
to the fact that corporate decisions are in general required to be in the
stockholder's interests, not society's.  In other words, they are in general
*by definition* anti-social.

So the correct phrasing is "How do we change the anti-social behavior into
something less anti-social which still pleases the stockholders?"

> Seriously, what will be your next analogy, pedophiles are the same as file
> sharers?

Paging Jack Valenti...