Usage-Based Billing for DIA

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Mar 6 01:41:37 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> said:
> 1) we have customers on policed ports, and the interface snmp counters
> count packets before service-policy.  It doesn't seem right to bill for
> packets we dropped :)...so this isn't useful data for billing purposes.

Not sure how you are policing, but I belive both Juniper and Cisco have
MIBs that show the policed traffic.  For example, when we used Cisco CAR
to limit traffic on some ports, I set up Cricket to monitor both the
base port and the CAR stats (so we could see how much traffic was
actually passed).

I haven't got around to doing it for Juniper firewall policers, but I
pretty sure the info is in a MIB.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>