Legislation and its effects in our world

Michael Dillon wavetossed at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 2 09:49:32 UTC 2009

On 2/25/09, Jim Willis <jim.h.willis at gmail.com> wrote:
> After having a brief conversation with a friend of mine over the weekend
> about this new proposed legislation I was horrified to find that I could not
> dig anything up on it in NANOG. Surely this sort of short minded legislation
> should have been a bit more thought through in its effects on those that
> would have to implement these changes.

The people on NANOG mostly deal with moving packets around the network.
Log files are kept on servers, or on SAN farms, and the NANOG folks
generally don't deal with that so the legislation will have little to no
impact on them.

Specifically, NANOGers probably won't have to implement this change. That
task will fall to ISP management and to the people who run storage systems
and SANs.