OT: Bringing Cisco equipment to US

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Jun 29 16:19:36 UTC 2009

On 29-Jun-2009, at 10:05, Sherwin Ang wrote:

> i'll be bringing in 2 cisco switches to one wilshire in LA to install
> those switches there.  since these are small switches, 3750's, i'll be
> carrying them on the check-in luggage.  I would like to get some
> information if i could be in trouble in any way with regards to
> Customs there in the US, i'll be coming from the Philippines by the
> way.
>
> insights, off list would be greatly appreciated.  tnx!

If you put metal devices in your checked baggage you should be
prepared for them to be noticed in routine x-rays as the baggage is
processed. I've found notes from TSA inside my checked bags before
confirming that someone had opened and searched my luggage, most
recently between the US and Canada. There was a Juniper SSG5 in there
(which I had declared) which I presumed caused the bag to be flagged.

Last time I checked, there was no simple box to check on customs
paperwork for "we still own these switches, but we want to keep them
in the US rather than at home". It might well be that they need to be
processed as if you are importing them, in which case commercial
invoices confirming their value and other documentation confirming
their origin might well be required, and you might have to pay import
duty.

If you want to avoid any unpleasant questions at the border, then the
right thing to do is probably to find out what supporting paperwork is
required to support the import of the switches into the US, bring that
paperwork with you, and declare the switches at customs.

Alternatively ship the switches separately, and let FedEx or similar
deal with the border. You can then make the border crossing carrying
nothing but clothes and a laptop, which ought to be uncomplicated.

More alternatively, since c3750s are not particularly exotic or
expensive, look at buying some from a cisco reseller or used network
equipment vendor within the US and have them shipped directly to 1
Wilshire. The switches you have in the Philippines could be used for
something else.

Note I am not a lawyer, this e-mail contains forward-looking
statements, contents may have settled in transit, etc.

Joe