tor

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 15:37:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Suresh
Ramasubramanian<ops.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Running what's effectively an anonymous open proxy is not a bright
> idea, even if there's security bundled on..
>
> John Gilmore found that out after Verio disconnected his perpetual
> open relay for example ..  and TOR is just as nutty a concept.
>
> Nothing less that I'd expect from the EFF, frankly speaking - but
> clued people (and you are clued, for sure) shouldnt be running it.

Would you feel better if instead of "Tor" it was called "Crowds" and
instead of those rapscallions at the EFF it was a nice respectable
AT&T Research project from Avi Ruben? I bet I still have my "Anonymity
Loves Company" shirt somewhere... Anonymous speech is a vital concept
if you expect Free speech.

http://avirubin.com/crowds.pdf