tor

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jun 24 21:41:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:43:15PM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> sadly, naively turning up tor to help folk who wish to be anonymous in
> hard times gets one a lot of assertive email from self-important people
> who wear formal clothes.
>
> folk who learn this the hard way may find a pointer passed to me by smb
> helpful, <http://www.chrisbrunner.com/?p=119>.

If bittorrent of copyrighted material is the most illegal thing you
helped facilitate while running tor, and all you got was an assertive
e-mail because of it, you should consider yourself extremely lucky.

Anonymity against privacy invasion and for political causes sure sounds
like a great concept, but in reality it presents too tempting a target
for abuse. If you choose to open up your internet connection to anyone
who wants to use it, you should be prepared to be held accountable for
what those anonymous people do with it. I'm sure you don't just sell
transit to any spammer who comes along without researching them a little
first, why should this be any different?