Use of Default in the DFZ: banned in philly, see it now on the net!

Lixia Zhang lixia at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jun 24 18:25:26 UTC 2009

On Jun 24, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Pete Templin wrote:

> Ricardo Oliveira wrote:
>> Jack,
>> Please give me your ASN and i'll double check our data. As long as
>> the network has 4 or less downstreams, it's  being labeled as "stub".
>> More details here:
>> http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~rveloso/papers/completeness-ton.pdf
>
> I guess the old adage, "In theory, theory and practice are the
> same.  In practice, they're not.", comes into play here.

I agree completely.
In a private reply I just sent to Randy, I said "have you heard my
paraphrase of murphy's law: the internet is so large, so anything
imaginable can happen:-)"

the world cannot be sorted to just black-white, or any limited number
of simple definitions

> In (your) theory, your paper may hold up.  In practice, your
> definition of stub network is most likely considered wrong, and that
> likely shifts a lot of the assumptions in your paper.

But I also believe that there are a few common practical patterns that
cover majority of reality.
We need to be mindful of diversity in real world but also capture
basic common patterns (I'd agree that the paper perhaps should have
said a few more words about the former).

Lixia