Is your ISP blocking outgoing port 25?

Matthew Huff mhuff at
Mon Jun 22 10:19:37 CDT 2009

It already is used by Microsoft. Do a google for +Microsoft +Autodiscover.

It is used by Outlook for Windows, Entourage for Mac, the iPhone and Windows
Mobile devices. Like you suggested, it uses DNS based on the users email
address and looks for a series of resolvable addresses the easiest being
autodiscover.domain-name.tld (it has others because of SSL cert
flexibility). It uses that address to download an XML file.

The only tricky thing to set it up is that a lot of the documentation out
there is dated. It has changed since it was first released and a lot of the
documentation on technical blogs, and even on Microsoft's web site are
incorrect. Once it's setup, however, it's great.

Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577  | Phone: 914-460-4039